There’s so much going on in Kansas City right now, it’s hard to choose how to spend the upcoming Labor Day weekend! Here are some ideas:
Catch these family-friendly exhibits before they disappear:
- The Museum at Prairiefire’s World’s Largest Dinosaurs exhibit ends Labor Day and features huge dinosaurs who roamed the planet for 140 million years.
- The Playful Kinetics 3D sculptures with moving parts that can be powered by wind, water, a motor or people give kids the chance to experience touchable art that’s fascinating and fun. This “please touch” art exhibit is at Paradise Park, 1021 NE Colbern Road, Lee’s Summit, MO, and ends Labor Day.
Or check out these activities – many of them annual KC Labor Day faves:
- SantaCaliGon Days: Commemorate the origin of the Santa Fe, California, and Oregon trails with entertainment, food and crafts, and some serious carnival fun, Sept. 1-4, at Historic Independence Square, Independence, Mo 64050
- Kansas City Irish Fest: Head to Crown Center and celebrate Kansas City’s proud Celtic heritage with three days of music, dancing and a massive Children’s Area, Sept. 1-3.
- DeSoto Days: Entertainment, a carnival, food, parades and more during the 2017 DeSoto Days festival. Aug. 31-Sept. 2. At Miller Memorial Park, 32400 W 83rd St, De Soto, KS 66018
- Science City kidFest: The 3rd Annual kidFEST is dedicated to hands-on learning with tons of fun science activities, demos and workshops, not to mention a petting zoo, face painting, inflatables, a Rockin’ Rob and more! 10am-5pm; included with admission to Science City
- American Royal BBQ: The 2017 American Royal World Series of Barbecue® will be held Labor Day weekend at the Kansas Speedway. Close out the summer with friends, family, and great food! Aug. 31-Sept. 3
- KC Renaissance Festival Opening Weekend: It’s opening weekend for Renaissance Festival! Travel back in time to experience Jousting Knights, village shops, funny jesters, music, magic and more. Open weekends through Oct. 15 at 633 N 130th Street, Bonner Springs, KS 66012
- Dollar Days at the KC Zoo: Enjoy $1 hot dogs, chips, beverages and popsicles available outside Helzberg Penguin Plaza from 11am-4pm, Sept. 2-4.
- Shoal Creek First Saturdays: Shoal Creek Living History Museum’s Village comes to life with gunfighters, outlaws, Civil War soldiers and more roaming the streets on Sept. 2. Free admission includes family fun activities and demonstrations of 19th Century life. 9am-4pm, Shoal Creek, 7000 NE Barry Road, KCMO 64156
Images courtesy of Paradise Park, SantaCaliGon Days and the Kansas City Zoo.