May 10 is National Train Day, and there’s no better place to celebrate than in Kansas City!
To look at, learn about, or create your own trains, pay a visit to…
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center’s new exhibit, Train Station Adventure, which opens May 12! Includes a train-themed play zone and all the LEGO® train pieces and train tracks you need to build and test your own train creations.
- Union Station, for a visit to its Model Railroad Experience and/or Science City‘s KC Rail Experience. Each exhibit gives a different perspective on trains and how they work! To add to the train experience, grab lunch or a snack at Fritz’s Railroad Restaurant at Crown Center to have your food delivered via train. Don’t forget to ask for a conductors hat for the kids!
- The Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens where they can run and play alongside model trains and even get on board to explore a life-sized engine car..
For a quick train ride, check out…
- The Agricultural Hall of Fame in Bonner Springs has a mini train that takes you around for a quick tour of the grounds.
- The Kansas City Zoo for a ride on the miniature train, where you will get the chance to view some animals along the way!
- Worlds of Fun, for a ride on their railroad, which is a fully functioning replica of the great steam engines from the turn of the century.
For a longer train ride, ride on the…
- Belton Grandview & Kansas City Railroad: Runs south from Belton on a 5 mile, 45 minute round trip. It is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving rail travel and railroading that offers a variety of rides (ice cream social, regular rides, pumpkin patch and Santa rides). Typically, it runs weekends May-September, but no info is listed just yet. Check back for their schedule.
- Kansas City Northern Railroad/Line Creek Route: This miniature train is about as cute as it gets, and the volunteer train engineers love talking to the kids about trains. Running weekends and holidays May-September, weather permitting, the KC Northern Railroad definitely takes you back to yesteryear…for just 75 cents per ride! We love to bring a picnic lunch and make a day of it.
- Midland Railway: This vintage train, originally constructed in 1867, takes you on a 20-mile round trip from Baldwin City to Ottawa Junction, KS. It also features the ever-popular Day Out with Thomas, where Thomas the Tank Engine joins his friends for tons of fun train-themed activities and a train ride. This year’s Day Out with Thomas is June 2-4, and June 9-11, 2017.
- Missouri River Runner Route: This is the real deal, and if you’re up for a weekend vacation, you can hop the Missouri River Runner for a ride to St. Louis. Once you get there, explore downtown St. Louis on its MetroLink rail system to access some of the city’s bigger attractions. No cars needed!