What better way to say thank you to the special grandparents (or other special people) in your kids’ lives than this Sunday, Sept. 11, on Grandparents Day! While there’s always something fun happening in KC (just check out our Events Calendar), there are some great ways for grandparents and their grandchildren to enjoy their day together!
- Grandparents Day at Overland Park Arboretum: The Arboretum is going all out to offer a special family concert for extended families in honor of Grandparents Day; 4-6pm at Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th St., Overland Park, KS 66085; regular admission applies: $3 for ages 13+; $1 for ages 6-12; 5 & under free
- Grandparents Day at Mahaffie Farmstead: In addition to the 1860s hands-on living history activities including stagecoach rides, games and blacksmith demonstrations, your kids can fill out a family tree with their grandparents to learn more about the family. Plus, one grandparent is admitted free with every paid grandchild admission. Noon-4pm; regular admission applies: $7/adults, $4/children ages 5-11, Olathe residents receive $2/off admission.
- Take an afternoon ride on The Belton, Grandview and Kansas City Railroad Co., a short line passenger train ride full of fun and adventure for kids of all ages! It’s a 5-mile, 45 minute ride, particularly well-suited if the grandparents in your life like to enjoy life from a seated position. Departs at 2pm on Sundays throughout September; $10/person for ages 3+; 2 & under free; 502 E. Walnut St., Belton, MO
- Zootastik Learning Fest: Grandparents can enjoy learning alongside the kids at this month’s Zootastik Learning Fest: Butterfly Bonanza. From 10am-3pm, kids can learn how butterflies grow, what they eat and how they find their food. All activities, demonstrations and crafts will take place in the main lobby and are included with Zoo admission.
- Art + Family = FUN at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art: If you’re looking for an indoor excursion, visit the Nelson-Atkins for a visit, and be sure to partake in the free, family-friendly activities offered between 1-4pm on Sundays; at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak, KCMO.
Images courtesy of Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm and the Belton Grandview and Kansas City Railroad Co.