Berry season is coming soon! With our extreme spring weather that went from winter cold to summer heat, it looks like strawberry season will be a short one. The good news…strawberry picking is starting in KC! Blueberries are typically ready around mid-June and blackberries in mid-July. Again, with this crazy weather, be sure to check your favorite berry patch online for their picking report.
To make it easy to find one in your neck of the woods, here’s our 2018 berry picking list:
- Benny’s Berries (Kansas City, MO) – U-pick strawberries are becoming available this week (May 15); check their Facebook page for updates
- The Berry Patch (just south of Leawood & Martin City) – big crop of blueberries and blackberries, great activities for kids!
- Buckeye Acres (Warrensburg, MO) – strawberries are becoming available mid to late-May, red raspberries, blackberries, wide variety of other vegetables; produce sold at Warrensburg Farmer’s Market
- Cy & Dee’s Blackberry Farm (Louisburg, KS) – thornless blackberry plants to make the picking easier; mid-July-August. Tomatoes and sweet corn also available in season.
- Duncan’s Berry Farm (Smithville, MO) – blueberries and blackberries
- Gieringers Orchard (Edgerton, KS) – strawberries becoming available this week (May 15), blueberries, blackberries, peaches, tomatoes, and sweet corn. Fun play area, check their Facebook page for picking updates.
- Happy Valley Farm (DeSoto, KS) – blueberries, blackberries, bush cherries, grapes and other orchard fruits available for picking by appointment only. Honey produced on the farm and other local produce also available. Check their Facebook page for picking updates.
- Lawson Brothers Farm (Baldwin City, KS) – Typically, they have strawberries, raspberries and blackberries, call for recorded message of picking conditions, 785-594-3936
- Schreiman Orchards (Waverly, MO) – berries and peaches, an hour east of KC
- Schwinn Produce Farm (Leavenworth, KS) – spring strawberries, asparagus and assorted flowers; summer sweet corn, tomatoes, melons and peppers; and fall pumpkins and hayrides
- Sibley Orchards & Cider Mill (Sibley, Jackson County, MO) – blackberries, asparagus and rhubarb; peaches and apples late summer/fall
- Spanish Garden Berry Farm (Platte City, MO) – strawberries, red and black raspberries, blueberries and blackberries; they also grow vegetables, melons and other orchard fruit. Check their Facebook page for picking updates.
- Tubby Fruits Peach Orchard (Stilwell, KS & Belton, MO) – peaches, blackberries and tomatoes available; check their Facebook page for picking updates.
- Wagon Wheel Orchard (Gardner, KS) – no berries here but look for peaches, apples and pears beginning late summer
- Wohletz Farm Fresh (Lawrence, KS) – strawberries are becoming available this week (May 19), blueberries and other fruits and vegetables throughout the season; check their Facebook page for picking updates.
For a few more in the outlying areas, check out our Pumpkin Patch/Orchards directory for ideas, or look at these state-by-state lists for Pick-Your-Own Farms and Orchards:
We’d love to hear about your favorite berry patches in the comments section below. Happy picking!
Image courtesy of Wohletz Farm U-Pick Strawberry Patch.