We love roller skating in the winter – it’s a great way to get the kids up and moving when it’s too cold to be outside. Fast forward to the hottest days of summer, and roller skating is a great – and active – break from the pool and the heat.
Just like the pool, roller skating offers tons of benefits, minus the vitamin D, of course. Here’s what we like about it:
- Great for the heart: The kids could care less that it’s a great cardio workout, but I love it when they sleep well at night after a skating session. It’s great cardio for we parents too!
- Improves balance: Skating builds up core strength, which leads to better balance. For my son, learning to roller skate was a big step toward helping him learn to ride his bike.
- Enhances body awareness: Navigating the other skaters makes for enhanced body awareness and helps kids learn to manage their own proximity to other people. If you have a kiddo who is constantly bumping into other people, like I do, then you know what I mean.
- Builds confidence: It’s one of those milestone moments when you can see that attitude shift from “this is too hard” to “if I can do this, I can do anything.” I’ll never forget the smile on my daughter’s face when she finally skated all by herself, then asked if we could go back next week. If your child can’t skate yet, the skate trainers are a big help and a back saver for parents.
- It’s a social sport: The more the merrier when it comes to skating. Plus, it’s one of those activities that kids of all ages can enjoy – even your eye-rolling teenager!
- It’s fun!
Enjoy roller skating across the KC Metro area at these roller skating rinks.