If your kids are anything like mine, it’s an understatement to say that it’s tough to keep them off of screens. While we do our best to limit them, even in summertime it’s a challenge at best!
So this summer, my husband and I committed to getting outside as much as we can (with the kids of course) this summer. Yesterday – our first concerted effort – we headed out to Shawnee Mission Park Marina for kayaking and paddle boarding, followed by a picnic and an afternoon at Shawnee Mission Park Beach. We can’t wait to head back to check out the hiking trails next time!
Our reward: a really fun, relaxing family day where no one asked “Mom, can I get on your phone?”
In that spirit, I hope you and your family can enjoy some off-screen time, whether indoors or out. Some great outdoor ideas coming up this weekend include:
- Free Admission Weekend at Deanna Rose Farmstead or The Little Mermaid at Theatre in the Park, Friday through Sunday
- Arts in the Park featuring live music, food trucks, music, street performers, and, of course, art June 8 & 9 at Macken Park
- Festival on the Trails also featuring entertainment, food, and a full day of kids activities and crafts in the Kid Zone on June 9 in Gardner, KS
- Hot Summer Days water fun event at 10am on Friday, June 8 at the Overland Park Arboretum
- A free night of fun and music at the Grandview Amphitheater this Friday evening
- Get Outdoors Lenexa for a free morning of fun activities at 9am this Saturday, at Black Hoof Park, 9053 Monticello Road, Lenexa, KS
- And one of my all-time favorites: head out to the Kansas City Zoo for Zootastik Learning Fest this weekend, or just some animal adventures on your own!
- Be sure to check our Events Calendar often for more upcoming fun in KC, and visit our Parks & Playgrounds and Outdoor Pools pages as well. It’s supposed to be a beautiful week to get outside!