Special needs kids and families need special places to have fun summer experiences. Sometimes, the right environment can be hard to find. We’ve pulled together a list of camps that fit a range of special needs. Make sure to let us know if you know of other special needs camps to add to this list.
Camp Barnabas offers week-long day and overnight camping experiences for individuals with special needs or chronic illnesses and their siblings (ages 7+). Overnight camps are located in Purdy, MO and Shell Knob, MO and 2018 day camps are set for Overland Park, KS and Kansas City, KS. With 24/7 medical care available, all disabilities are diagnosis are welcome. All campers are matched with trained one-on-one helper and scholarships available! To join us for a week of joy, fun and inclusion visit www.campbarnabas.org or call (417) 476-2565.
CHAMPIONS SPECIAL MINISTRIES offers two week long Day Camps in the Kansas City area for individuals with special needs. Champions has served the Kansas City area for the past 6 years! This summer we will be in Lenexa, KS July 9 – 13 and in Liberty, MO July 16 – 20, 2018. Champions accepts children and adults ages 6 and up with intellectual, cognitive or physical disabilities. We have an experienced staff, a 1-2 or 1-1 volunteer to camper ratio, and on-site nursing staff. Register at www.
- Autism Works (Liberty, MO) Offering year-round support for children and young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders, plus parent support groups.
- Blue Valley Recreation (Overland Park, KS) – Blue Valley Rec offers a wide variety of adapted and integrated leisure activities designed for individuals with disabilities.
- Boy Scouts Rotary Youth Camp (Lee’s Summit, MO) offers long-term camping experience to Boy Scouts with special needs.
- Brain Balance of Overland Park (multiple locations) – The Brain Balance Program can improve your child’s social, academic and behavioral abilities and give your child a jump start for the school year.
- Camp Carousel offers fun, recreational activities and structured, creative opportunities to foster sharing and healing for those who have lost a loved one. Created by Kansas City Hospice & Palliative Care, this camp is free of charge to participants.
- Camp Encourage (Linwood, KS) encourages social growth, independence, and self-esteem in youth with autism spectrum disorders through an overnight camp experience.
- Camp Erin is a two day overnight camp for kids ages 6-17 who are grieving the death of someone close to them. Staffed by certified grief counselors and hosted by Kansas City Hospice, this camp is free of charge to participants.
- Camp Hickory Hill (Columbia, MO) is a summer camp for children with diabetes. A medically-supervised environment where children with type 1 diabetes have a fun camp experience while learning how to manage their diabetes.
- Camp MITIOG (Excelsior Springs, MO) is a camp for young people with spina bifida. All of the traditional camping activities are offered, with a 1:1 camper/counselor ratio and medical staff on-site.
- Camp Discovery – Kansas City (Junction City, KS) an overnight camp for kids with diabetes, ages 8-16. Newly diagnosed and first time attendees receive priority admission.
Camp Kidz Rock! (Overland Park, KS) at Successful Sounds is a summer day camp designed specifically for kids ages 4-10 with high-functioning Autism, Aspergers & ADD/ADHD
- Camp Quality (Kansas City, MO) is an overnight camp for children with cancer that lets them enjoy the best of camp and independence, complete with “smile” therapy.
- Cheley / Children’s Hospital Burn Camp (Estes Park, CO) hosts children who have been hospitalized in burn units across the country for a very traditional camp experience with specially trained staff.
- Children’s Therapy Group (Overland Park, KS) is a multi-disciplinary clinic specializing in sensory integration therapy. Lots of summertime options available!
- Children’s Therapy Services Summer Camp (Leawood, KS) offers year-round help for children with special needs, including summer groups and camps.
- Heartland Therapeutic Riding Horsemanship Camp (Bucyrus, KS) Offers a one-week, therapeutic riding and horsemanship camp for kids with or without special needs.
- Horizon Academy (Roeland Park, KS) offers summer classes for kids (grades 1-12) who are struggling with academically.
- Horsin’ Around at Midnight Farm (Baldwin City, KS) Midnight Farm holds camps for special needs children Activities include traditional camp fun. Horseback riding available for an additional fee.
- Joshua Center for Neurological Disorders (Kansas City, MO) summertime and year-round programs to help children with neurological disorders
- KidsTLC offers year-round programs and services for kids and families coping with autism
- Life Unlimited (NKC, MO) hosts recreational sports, youth day camp and vocational day camp for young people with developmental disabilities.
- Midwest Brachial Plexus Network, Inc. and Rotary Youth Organization (Lee’s Summit, MO) offer a three day overnight camp for children with brachial plexus birth injuries.
- Missouri Children’s Burn Camp (Lake of the Ozarks, MO) is held at Camp Sabra, a residential camp site located on a lake. This is a program for children with burn injuries and offers traditional camp activities.
- Muscular Dystrophy Camp offers events year-round for anyone ages 6-21 with a neuromuscular disease. Contact the local MDA office for details
- Sugar Creek Equinapy (Harrisonville, MO) offers summer therapeutic riding programs for special needs children.
- Wonderland Camp (Lake of the Ozarks) is a residential camp for children with developmental and physical challenges. All of the traditional camp activities are offered, including a wheelchair accessible treehouse!
- YMCA Summer Day Camps (various locations) The YMCA is one of the Kansas City metro’s best resources for kids’ camps. They have day camps across the city for kids of all abilities.
Please feel free to let us know about any other great camps out there for Kansas City kids with special needs!